[PSUBS-MAILIST] information on viewports

Sat Mar 16 13:16:05 EDT 2024

Hello Jeff.

A few important resources for you to check out:

1) Rules for Building and Classing Underwater Vehicles, Systems, and Hyperbaric Facilities - American Bureau of Shipping.

https://ww2.eagle.org/content/dam/eagle/rules-and-guides/current/special_service/7-rules-for-building-and-classing-underwater-vehicles,-systems-and-hyperbaric-facilities-2024/7-uwvs-rules-jan24.pdf

1) Handbook of acrylics for submersibles, hyperbaric chambers, and aquaria. - Jerry D. Stachiw

https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Acrylics-Submersibles-Hyperbaric-Chambers/dp/1930536151

2) Safety standard for pressure vessels for human occupancy (PVHO-1), published by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)

https://www.asme.org/codes-standards/find-codes-standards/pvho-1-safety-standard-pressure-vessels-human-occupancy/2023/drm-enabled-pdf

As for manufacturers, an internet search will likely reveal a number of acrylic suppliers who will manufacture viewports. Purchasing will inevitably be more expensive than DIY, because a manufacturer can only sell you a PVHO-1 certified viewport for liability reasons. For a PSub, you can achieve the intent without the exhaustive documentation requirements of PVHO-1 by designing to the standard, using the correct slush cast PMMA material, following the appropriate annealing schedule after forming, and then by subsequently testing. Per the PSubs ethos, comply with the commercial rules as far as is possible / practicable.

Sean