[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ribs outside hull

Fri Sep 1 14:20:26 EDT 2023

The ABS Rules provide a separate set of equations to use for determining all of your critical pressures when using external framing. You need to calculate accordingly. In general, external framing provides more stiffness than internal for the same amount of material, but there are drawbacks.

Welds between your hull shell and any external stiffeners must be CJP, as opposed to simply continuous.

Also, be aware that free filling spaces between the pressure hull and any external hydrodynamic fairings represent a large volume of water which must be moved along with the hull, and that inertia will consume a substantial fraction of propulsion power. If you have no fairings, you will still be moving a boundary layer defined by the drag of the exposed stiffeners, so you must plan your power budget accordingly.

You also need to figure out how to mount all of your internal equipment, since external framing implies the loss of what would otherwise be a bunch of convenient structure for clamping to.

Sean