[PSUBS-MAILIST] Motor Question

Tue Nov 21 11:55:46 EST 2023

Hi All

Anyone got any suggestions for this?

I am thinking about what motors to get for my new boat.  I designed it up
using dimensions from my existing Minn Kota 80's.

On Jodie B I have 3 of these which totals 240lb thrust. which is more than
i need really.  I can run on just the rear for surface driving.

On the new boat i will have 4 motors.

Im thinking of smaller ones.  Something along the lines of 4 x 40-50lb
would probably be ok.

The biggest thing I want to try and avoid is the difficulty of the wire
location that i have on the Minn Kota 80's.  The location is ok if the
cable runs up the shaft as intended in the standard motor design as you can
pull them tight and clear, but once I potted the replacement shaft, the
cables then become very troublesome to keep out of the way of the
armature\commutator\brush assembly.

Some other people have experienced this as we have discussed it before.

Rubbish drawing attached.  You can see the blue part is the potted
connections which make the wires onto the brushes really tricky.

[image: image.png]

Does anyone know of a motor that would be easier to modify or where the
shaft hole is in a more convenient place?

Any suggestions?
Kind Regards
James