[PSUBS-MAILIST] New Join

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed May 17 06:59:53 EDT 2023

Welcome! I started with my own design, and my advice would be not to do
that. I find that I build every component three times. The first time, it
doesn't work. The second, it works but doesn't look nice or is too fragile.
The third time it works and looks OK. So, extrapolating that very
scientific theory suggests that building your own design will take three
times as long as building to plans, in addition to the design time itself.
One way to use your "pre-sub-build" time is to build small components that
will eventually be used in any sub you build, whether to plans or not.
There's small stuff that doesn't take a big welder or investment, but which
takes time.

The other fundamental suggestion is to keep on the lookout for used subs
for sale. They don't come up for sale often, but if you have some patience
they do. Whether you buy a partially built sub or a completed one, believe
me you are buying a project every time in the sense there will ALWAYS be
stuff to develop and improve. But it will save you a bundle relative to new
construction, both in time and money. And even if you bought a KIttredge
sub, it can make a perfectly good 2-person and be highly maneuverable. I
think my old sub, Snoopy, is for sale and is a 2-person Kittredge. At
least, she was for sale a few months ago and I haven't heard of anyone
buying her.

Best,
Alec

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 12:12 AM John Bussard via Personal_Submersibles <