[PSUBS-MAILIST] Introducing myself, and a laundry list of questions

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jun 28 18:03:20 EDT 2023

 Hello Mikael,
You can purchase submarine plans from PSUBS and that is the quickest way to get started.  You will need to invest in many tools and have a location where you can use those tools including stick and/or tig welder, drill press, lathe, grinders, sanders, and much more.  To weld and machine a "safe" vessel you will need more than just beginner experience with the tools, particularly welding the pressure hull.  Anything you can't do yourself safely you will need to contract a service to perform for you.
SCUBA certification is strongly recommended.  None of the communications we use require special training or licenses.
All materials used for the submarine are expensive and I think you would spend upwards of $50-60k for the finished project.
Operating costs are similar to a surface boat however you will need a good trailer as well.  Weighing in at 3-5000 pounds, you won't be pulling it with a Tesla coupe so expect to purchase a four-wheel drive full size truck to tow/launch/retrieve the submarine.
Propane tanks are not appropriate.  The issue is not a scarcity of information but the fact they are not fabricated from the proper steel nor are they intended to be used for external pressure.
You are in the correct place to ask questions so just keep asking whatever comes to mind and learn as much as you can BEFORE spending any money.
Jon