[PSUBS-MAILIST] Concrete hull submarine

irox via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jun 26 15:16:19 EDT 2023

Hi Marc,

that was a long time...  I believe it was the unsupported/unstiffened thin wall formula (possible from C T F Ross Pressure Vessel's book).  It does seem a bit high, possibly I'm mis-remembering/guessing, but I do remember it was a lot  higher than expected.  During concrete pouring a sample of each pour was taken, these samples would need to be tested to determine the properties of the actual concrete used.  Those test results would then be used to more accurately estimate collapse depth.

Wilfried's site is still up with some pictures and links to videos:
http://concretesubmarine.com/

Thanks,
  Ian.