[PSUBS-MAILIST] Collapse of composite submarine hulls

Sun Jun 25 19:35:33 EDT 2023

Not too dissimilar from the work I'm doing now, except with steel instead of composites, and at full scale:

https://www.cfertech.com/insights/deepwater-experimental-chamber/

With full scale specimens, we want to avoid the energy release associated with an instantaneous implosion, so we raise the pressure both inside and outside initially to the full test pressure, and then slowly drop the internal pressure, so we can recreate the buckling failure in slow motion.

Sean