[PSUBS-MAILIST] Titan submersible missing at Titanic site

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jun 24 18:53:04 EDT 2023

I had a technical advice contract with GL. I spent N.Z. $3000- just getting advice on how to interpret their rules.I had no intention of going under their survey but wanted to build closely to their rules. It is a horrendous process. If you could understand their electrical, electronics, automation rules you would be able to wire up a super tanker. I have said before, they want to know the credentials of the foreman in the factory that produced the bolt you are using and what certifications the factory had. Any non standard item like our Minnkota thrusters would have to be sent to them for examination ( and no doubt fail). You would be forced to buy only components that had previously been stamped by them as having past their inspection, as having them access your off standard thruster, controller, lights etc would be more expensive.It is one rule fits all; whether you are a military sub, a 50ft tourist sub or a 1 person sub. It doesn't matter whether you operate several times a day or go out twice a year, you still need an annual inspection, which may involve paying  for an inspector to fly out from Germany.I can see why Stockton didn't want that expense and bother as his operation probably wasn't big enough to afford it. There is a point where you are too small an operation to warrant it, & the fact that he was pushing the boundaries re depth & design would have been added costs.Carsten had a good idea with his Swiss certification for smaller subs that was less stringent.Stockton must have been pretty convinced about his analysis & testing of his hull as he was putting his own life on the line every time he went down. There is just some unforseen factor in the equation. Alan

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, 25 Jun 2023 at 6:39 am, hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles<personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:   _______________________________________________
Personal_Submersibles mailing list
Personal_Submersibles at psubs.org