[PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn Kotta 101 - Thruster Reliability

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jul 29 10:02:28 EDT 2023

 Alan, a couple of points. I am not arguing that an oil compensated 101 is better than a purpose build brushless thruster.  It is just a cost thing for me.  Unless you are a machinist, my guess it is going to cost you several thousand dollars in the states to machine the thruster you have designed. OTS thrusters go for $5K and up and run at a much higher voltage than psubbers normally run at.  Using the 101, with all its weaknesses, is a low-cost way for psubbers to fabricate a thruster.  Given these constraints, I am just trying to make these function more reliably.
With any luck, at the speed Hank works, he has already fabricated a 1-atm 101 with a magnetic coupling as tested to 1000 ft and all we have to do is work up the fabrication drawing!
Keep us in the loop on progress on your thruster project.
Cliff