[PSUBS-MAILIST] Beaver Island expedition

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jul 22 09:52:20 EDT 2023

Hello Friends,

Cliff and I are just back from diving R300 and Shackleton on an
InnerspaceScience.org expedition to Beaver Island in Lake Michigan. We had
Ian Roxborough and Steve McQueen as surface operations coordinators, and my
son Trevor as swimmer and safety diver. Cliff came with his friend Kevin
Hicks, who between mechanical skills and sense of humor is the ideal
crewmember.

We were hosted by Central Michigan University, which has a biological
research station on the island. They had two science objectives. R300 did a
transect with a data sonde attached, while Shackleton searched for lake
trout spawning grounds. It was four full days of diving. Personally, I
found the most interesting to be a dive on a submerged island covered in
four thousand year old tree stumps.

It went really smoothly, the team got better with every dive and there were
zero incidents or emergencies. We carried many observers from CMU, from the
director to students, and on the final day the subs became exhibits
at CMU's annual open house. We must have had easily a hundred kids come
aboard the subs that day.

Here's an article with an embedded video as a bonus.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2023/07/private-submersibles-join-lake-michigan-research-on-beaver-island.html

Best,
Alec