[PSUBS-MAILIST] air compensation

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Aug 2 12:43:09 EDT 2023

 Vance good to hear from you.  Thanks for your contributions on air/oil compensations.  Always glad when a real expert chimes in.  The statement below was based on using scuba air from dive shop or portable scuba compressor that meets a very high standard for being dry as specied by the air dew point temperature.  This specification says that the temperature would have to drop to below -50F for the first molecules of water vapor to condense to drinking water.
So seeing ice is really all about how dry is dry.  My guess is the case you describe with using onboard compressors is that the drying was not down to -50F dewpoint.
Hope to see you at next Psub event.
Cliff