[PSUBS-MAILIST] air compensation

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Aug 1 20:04:42 EDT 2023

 Alec, yes, the HP port of first stage has a tiny hole and is made to measure pressure. Having said that because of the high tank pressure you can still pass a significant amount of air.  As an example, on my Titan 1st state, it is approximately 0.03" diameter.  A quick calculation assuming 3000 psig tank and 70F tank temperature, the flow rate through this tiny hole is 32 scf/min.   At 1000 psig tank pressure, the rate would be 16 scf/min.  These rates are independent of water ambient pressure because the flow is in critical flow.  The rates would change somewhat with tank temperature.  Would need to complete the calculation to see what the demand would be to fill the four thrusters on the descent but their volume of 37 fl oz each is quite small. My guess it would work off both the HP or LP ports but I need to finish the calc.

Cliff