[PSUBS-MAILIST] minn-Kota

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Aug 14 17:17:59 EDT 2022

Hi Rick,I got the picture of the worn wire, thanks.It is probably a bit difficult to send photos that would describe exactly what is going on.Am wondering if you could scuff up the housing a bit & epoxy the wire to the housing. After all the magnets are glued to the housing. You might have to clamp the Wire against the housing with a piece of wood or something while drying and use as much epoxy as you can. I have found that epoxy doesn't do a great job of glueing to PVC wire jackets, so try & cover as much of it as you can & cover as much housing as you can with the epoxy.I made my own brushless thruster because I wasn't happy with what was out there; and what was ok cost thousands.Alan

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 at 6:12 am, Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles<personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:   Been doing alot of thinking on this as it is a big problem. I might see if I can fabricate two things that are rigid that do a hard 90 off the spade on the motor which will then do another hard 90 again just before the wall of the housing, then shorten the wires coming out of the epoxy and put spade connectors on them again so that you are plugging them in just as they come out of the rod going thru the hull that is filled with epoxy instead of plugging them in at the motor like the factory did.  As they say,,,Looks good on paper. Just finished giving the inside another coat of paint working my way out the back. What a real pain as I had to do a lot of masking with painters tape on the wires and piping to keep them from getting paint on them and using a real small brush sometimes to get into the tight spots. Now I have to remove it all😬, but the next step is welding the back dome on which will be another milestone for me. Gonna try and tig weld the root and hot pass and cap on the inside and not have to do any stick welding to preserve the new paint job that I just did. I'll provide a picture to the group of what I come up with for the motor and results.
Rick
Rick