[PSUBS-MAILIST] minn-Kota

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Aug 9 12:07:53 EDT 2022

 Rick, I do like the MK 101s as they make great thrusters but this is a weak feature of the design.  It is easy to assemble the units and have these brush wires rub on the armature.  At one point I had the same issue you mentioned.  What I found out is you have to develop a procedure for assembling the motors that minimizes this issue.  What I found moist useful was to make sure the 1/4" spade connectors are secured in the factory orientation. The spade connections are right angle design that is necessary to have the wires located in the correct place in the motor when assembled. There are some white plastic clips that also have to be installed to keep the wires in the correct location on assembly.  When assembling the motors, I find that it is helpful to wedge a wooden shim between the armature and permanent magnets so that the brush assembly can be more easily installed over the armature.  Also helps to put a small piece of tape on end cap and body to help in alignment.  You can then put marks on both parts to help make sure they are aligned with inserting the long bolts that hold the motors together.  When the motors are assembled, when you turn the armature, if the wires are touching the armature, you can feel the drag.  Make sure the assembly turns freely before powering.  The more you disassemble and assemble the motors, the easier it gets.  Like most things, there is a learning curve.
Cliff