[PSUBS-MAILIST] Drawing

Fri Apr 22 14:01:00 EDT 2022

Rick - Should be fine. A full penetration weld, done properly, is actually stronger than the base metal. Your only concern would be reinforcement, but that through-hull fitting looks beefy enough to more than meet the requirements for hull material replacement. You will want to bevel the edges around your hole to ensure that the new weld is full penetration all around, and once you start welding one side, will need to grind or backgouge into the root / clean metal from the opposite side before laying passes on that side.

I presume from your sketch that the fitting will be radially oriented through the cylindrical hull exclusively (i.e. fitting axis passes through hull axis), and does not land on the head curvature where it would be tangential or offset?

Sean