[PSUBS-MAILIST] CruzPro ATU120BT Technical Report on Pressure test to 1, 200 fsw

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed May 5 17:05:25 EDT 2021

Psubbers,
For the past few weeks Cliff Redus, Alan James, and myself have had discussions about Depth Sounding transducers that can interface into a PLC or a consumer grade microprocessor such as Arduino for Rpi.  There are two major purposes for having a sounding device, the first being it provides an opportunity to survey a dive site and confirm the water column is not greater than the capability of the submarine; the second is it provides altitude above bottom which is valuable information when diving at night or in low visibility waters.
Our goal was to see if we could find an off-the-shelf transducer with a sounding range of 1000 feet from the surface as well as surviving to a submerged depth of 1000 feet.  We did find a transducer that met those specifications and Cliff performed extremely valuable controlled testing on the transducer to 533 psi or the equivalent of 1200 feet sea water.  These tests were successful and Cliff has prepared a detailed report of the project, the pressure testing, and the field testing that was involved.
You can download and read the detailed report at http://www.psubs.org/community/projects/cruzpro/cruzpro.pdf
or follow this path at the websitePSUBS -> PSUBS Community -> Community Projects -> CruzPro Depth Sounding Transducer
Special thanks to Cliff Redus for testing work involved with this project.
Discussion welcome...
Jon