[PSUBS-MAILIST] Build Updates

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jan 4 12:34:34 EST 2021

 2020 is in our rear view mirrors and 2021 is upon us.  I would love to hear a short update on Psub community builds. I have heard bits and pieces on a number of builds but would love an update from members on progress.   I know Jon Wallace is working away on his boat electronics and his trailer.  Jon, where are you overall on the build?  Alec has Shackleton ship shape and has a new articulated arm to play with.  I think he is pretty far along on a 2021 InnerspaceScience.org 2021 Expedition.  Alec, any updates?  Gary Boucher has retired from LSU faculty and is busy on a retrofit of Vindicator.  He is changing out the drive train to articulated  Minn Kotta thrusters, putting the boat on a diet to drop weight and rebuilding the electronics.  Gary what else have you planned for Vindicator?  Alan has been busy on custom thrusters for his boat.  Alan, what the status on the thrusters and what else you been up to.  David Colombo, how is SeaQuestor coming along?  What's next?  And were are you on getting your new boat ready to dive?    Carstan, Emile, what's new with your boats?  I was sorry that Covid 19 wiped out the European Psub events you guys had planned.  Judging by the PSub list traffic, it sound like Rick Patton is getting close so sea trials on his new boat.  Rick, can you give us an update.  I know Steve McQueen has been busy digesting the learnings from his first dive of The Great Escape last summer.  Steve, what's new with The Great Escape? When does she go back in the water? Brian Cox I know has been busy.  We have all been enjoying his video post of dunk test on his boat.  Brian, what's the latest?  I know that Hugh Fulton is back on QSub with a new electrical guy on board that is bringing some energy to the build.  Hugh, any updates on QSub?  New Zealand in the summer might be fun!
New year is time for goal setting and planning.  I for one would love to know what the member community is up to.  Jon, any thoughts on the 2021 PSub Convention?  I think we should move forward on this with the anticipation that the Convid 19 vaccinations will be successful and at some point we will regain a degree of normalcy.  What about Islamorada Florida this summer or fall?
I will give you a brief update on my Psub work.  The R300 is fully operational and I am just waiting for the dive season to start.  I changed out the pressure compensation on the thursters from air to oil so am anxious to see how the thursters work.   I have also started design work on a new boat I am designating the R800.  It is a low cost atmospheric diving suit (ADS). The design depth of the boat is 800 feet.  I am trying to make it ABS compliant as much as possible.  Preliminary engineering is almost done.  Weight and balance calcs as well as preliminary FEA work on hull and pods are done.  Am currently working on detailing the electrical boxes and hull penetrations.  Alec build a OP valve for me that I am currently testing to document it's cracking pressure and overall depth rating.  I hope to complete detail engineering by this summer time and start the build.
Cliff