[PSUBS-MAILIST] German Submarine Dargaville

Keith Gordon via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Feb 21 19:25:01 EST 2021

Hi Alan
It’s bit of a local story but thats about all - there is only one U-boat unaccounted for in the Pacific area - departed Jakarta for  Australian operational area, U 196, but unlikely it ended up off NZ coast. Over the years various people have stated near end of the war a U-boat was taken over by crew and ended up purposely  sunk off the Dargaville coast but so far no evidence to back this up. I have been involved with people searching for it - many local tales about it being close to shore - its a good story but unfortunately not proven- so far . But as they say - where there’s smoke there is a smoke machine!
Cheers
Keith