[PSUBS-MAILIST] K-250 paint

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Apr 30 12:03:29 EDT 2021

Here's some practical stuff if you've never done this before. Paint the hatch. Make sure it's sufficiently protected. Pay special attention when painting the groove itself. You don't want too much build up, especially in the inner corners. Once the paint has cured, put on a sweatband and apply elbow grease to the o-ring groove using  fine grit sandpaper. Do it by hand. What you want to do is work/sand/polish the paint down to pretty much its minimal thickness without breaking through to the undercoat (or not much, anyway). If you think the sanding has thinned your paint coating too much, then wipe the groove down with solvent, thin a little more paint in a paper cup, and add a layer back to the groove with an artist's brush. Let it hard cure again. Then get the sandpaper back out. You are looking to have a very smooth surface in there. You'll get a matte finish, rather than shiny, which will help hold the grease if nothing else. You can't depend on the original application for smoothness. Once she's slick to the touch, clean carefully, and apply a little of your favorite o-ring grease. Then grease the o-ring and install. You're done. It doesn't hurt to pull the o-ring if the sub will be laid up between operations. Wipe with a very clean cloth. Re-grease groove and o-ring using your bare hands so you can feel any grit that might have been picked up. The sanding really isn't that big a job on the bench, but it needs to be done, and carefully. Once you get to that point, all you have to do is keep an eye on things, close the hatch, and go diving. All the Perry boats had painted o-ring grooves and Monel mating surfaces, and all of them got the extra elbow grease to polish those grooves to a fair-the-well. Never had one leak. Ever. And because we were fussy about the maintenance, I never saw a speck of rust in there, even after a hard season. Pretty good results for half an hour's work on the bench.Vance