[PSUBS-MAILIST] K-250 side viewport and dome hatch.

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 29 07:45:19 EDT 2020

 Exactly how he did it James.  Had a diver outside just hold a metal cover over the outside flange, then unbolted the view port from the inside.  Water pressure retained the cover on the outside once the view port was released.  It was not a waterproof solution, there was plenty of leakage, however it also was not a flood.  It did require fast reflexes and a quick replacement.  Had a bolt rolled away or some other little distraction occurred it would have been a much different story.  I looked for the video again and couldn't find.  It is a video associated with one of the "meets" he had with the submarine community over there.
I was wrong about Madsen drilling his view ports.  He used an internal retaining ring surrounded by attachment bolts with no circumferential support.  See attached photo.
Jon