[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fwd: K-250 side viewport and dome hatch.

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 29 07:03:42 EDT 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: vbra676539 at aol.com
To: personal_submersibles at psubs.org <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
Sent: Mon, Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-250 side viewport and dome hatch.

The Nekton viewports were extensively tested in-house and cleared by ABS for service in the last 3 subs, Beta, Gamma, and Delta. The design came about as it was something they could build in a small shop, meaning the reinforcement rings (1" X 1" in cross section) could be welded in place, then machined flat with a purpose built (and portable) milling machine that fit right to each frame.
Drilling acrylic is problematic. The drill bits have to be modified with extra relief, and the temperatures are critical. And, of course, Marfab built all this themselves, and annealed the ports in-house. And for practical info, neoprene or rubber will not work as a gasket. Instead, a cork/neoprene blend is glued directly to the viewport frame (but not to the window). People poo-poo them these days, but added together the 4 Nekton boats made over 12,000 dives, over half of them done by Delta. Hard to argue with the kind of success rate.
As to the port broken in Beta, the problem was not the port itself, but its side exposure which left the acrylic unprotected from a side impact. As a comparison, Ashera broke a port in Greece and those were truncated cones as per modern spec. Happily in that accident, the two chunks of acrylic stayed together in the frame, and actually sort of self sealed. Leaky is better than busted, for sure. So just keep in mind the lessons learned: No heavy lifting overhead, dumbass (for Beta), and watch where you're going, stupid (for Ashera).
Vance