[PSUBS-MAILIST] OTS

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Oct 25 08:55:18 EDT 2020

 I believe it's omni-directional, see page 15-16 in the buddy phone document link below.  OTS manuals like the SSB2010 are available online and have detailed information about various factors affecting underwater communication.  Underwater comms are subject to the inverse square law which is the culprit that limits distance.  While the radiation pattern is omni-directional and the signal can bounce around off lots of things to cover a large area, that also becomes the achilles heel of the system because the further the distance that the signal travels, the weaker it becomes.
https://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/SSB-2010-1001B-rev-K.pdf