[PSUBS-MAILIST] OTS comms sources

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Oct 15 14:06:36 EDT 2020

 I can comment that unless you are on a stable dock the "surface" unit can be unwieldy.  It also is not waterproof.  We used Cliff's surface unit in a small dingy at Lake Tahoe and I found it difficult to handle the particular day I was manning it.  Waves were 4-6 feet (very windy that day) and lots of spray coming over the dingy.  The surface unit is bulky under those conditions, I had to keep the surface cover closed to keep it from getting too wet which was a pain when necessary to adjust the volume/squelch.  I found it was just a lot to handle under those conditions.
I've got both a surface unit and SSB2010, but for the reasons stated I am planning on using the surface unit within the sub; the SSB2010 at the surface.
Jon