[PSUBS-MAILIST] OTS comms headset.

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Nov 21 04:23:15 EST 2020

 Alan, if you are asking for an OTS rating, it's rated for the depth of it's intended purpose.  See link to document, below.  For the STX-101, that's 35 feet because the standard cable length is 35 feet long.  For the SSB-2010 it's 300 feet because that's about the limit for deep technical diving.  You can see from the chart that the transducer with 55 foot cable is rated for 55 feet, and the one with 100 foot cable is rated for 100 feet.  These ratings make sense from a marketing perspective but I have no concern that these are even close to actual failure depths.  For example, Cliff gave the R-300 a 400 foot unmanned depth test in Lake Tahoe with his OTS transducer attached.  Surface unit performance is going to be negatively affected by signal loss and potential electromagnetic reflections in the cable just like any transceiver/antenna system which is why you won't see a 1000 or 2000 foot cable option.  The transducer units appear to be solidly potted and I suspect their failure depth is "deep".  Certainly, I think there's no issue with it installed on any K-boat.
https://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/OTS-Catalog52019-small.pdf

Jon