[PSUBS-MAILIST] Adding an OTS surface unit inside sub

Wed Nov 11 09:28:19 EST 2020

The additional channels would require some additional tuning circuitry / DSP on the board.

Power will be a function of the amplifier circuitry. Easily doubled with a bigger amplifier, but at the expense of power consumption. Is the M version still rated as having the same battery life?

The transducer is a ceramic ring with a resonant frequency close to the transmission carrier frequency, but it will be a tradeoff in efficiency as you move away from the optimal frequency. A transducer that has to cover down to 25 kHz I would expect to be somewhat larger than one that only needs to extend down to 31.25 kHz. I may be mistaken, but I think the four channel units are optimized for channels 1/2 and are less efficient at 31.25 kHz. The eight channel units I might expect to be optimized for somewhere in the middle (29?).

Sean