[PSUBS-MAILIST] Actual Inclinometer Usage Need?

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat May 16 12:09:56 EDT 2020

 Steve, one more response on this thread.  On the R300, I use the inclinometers on every dive.  I have manual bubble inclinometers for both roll and pitch.  I also have a primary and backup inclinometer sensor for roll and pitch that feed into my PLC and are displayed on the HMI.  For my boat I have forward and aft MBT and a relatively short 2.2 inch span by design between my GG and CB.  So when executing a MBT flood, if the adjustable trim weight location is off then the boat could pitch forward or back.  Under certain conditions this pitch could be extreme enough to trap air in my forward or aft MBT preventing me from diving the boat.  So having the itch inclination angle measurement enables me to mitigate this.  When submerged, because of the small CG-CB spread I can drive the boat into +-45 degree pitch orientation.  Having the measurement enables me to monitor the degree of pitch.  For conventional Psubs with large CG-CB spreads, my guess is that the  measurements of pitch and roll are really not needed under normal operating conditions.  However for abnormal conditions, such as an inoperable vent valve on MBT, it is nice to have these measurements.
Cliff