[PSUBS-MAILIST] Now for something completely different: autopilot

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat May 2 19:48:15 EDT 2020

 Brian, Stop, resist the temptation to make a simple thing complicated.  Reliability comes from simplicity.It's cool but....Hank
    On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 9:06:27 AM MDT, Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

  . Another experiment: bought a cheap vintage car fluxgate compass. When I hold the sensor under the front MBT (previously I experimented with how high I had to hold it off the hull until I had this brain fart), against the inside "roof" of the fiberglass shell, it works perfectly, as in no distortion at all. I now know where to mount a future more accurate fluxgate sensor as it appears to be far enough away from the hull and the main brackets that mount the MBT to work as intended. I love easy solutions. I now see a way forward for a reliable means for nsvigation.
Now as I am looking at used marine fluxgate compasses, it seems some of them are designed to feed an auto pilot. As I already have the parts to put an actuator on the rear thruster, all this has me thinking: an auto pilot for Harold. Set the compass and let the actuator compensate for the heading.  Since Marine components are reasonably robust no need for DIY solutions...  and for quick turns I still have the side thrusters.
Am I losing my mind during lockdown or worth a go?
Brian and the fabled K boat Harold

Personal_Submersibles mailing list
Personal_Submersibles at psubs.org