[PSUBS-MAILIST] motor oil compensator

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Mar 25 20:22:55 EDT 2020

 Units don't matter.  As you stated, the formula is pretty simple and applies equally to any unit of measure.  The interesting part to me was that tube diameter doesn't matter.  The air trapped in a .125 diameter hose will compress to exactly the same level as a 1 inch diameter hose.  As will that 3 inch diameter PVC holding tube.  So at 300 feet, using 30 feet of hose, you end up with an air-gap about 3 inches in height.  It looks to me like your design might work if you used a 90 degree elbow at the bottom of the PVC tube rather than a TEE at the top.  For sure, at 300 feet water will enter well beyond the current TEE placement.