[PSUBS-MAILIST] motor oil compensator

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Mar 24 20:25:53 EDT 2020

Brian,
there is this military de-classified 1972 document on pressure compensating.
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/894795.pdf
I printed it out & had it bound.
I found that the rotation of the motor was throwing the oil out of the motor
housing & up in to the compensating tube. If you dived there would be added
pressure to keep the oil in the motor housing, but this wouldn't happen transiting
on the surface. As the oil also keeps the Motor cool, there may be a danger of
the motor overheating in this instance.
As you will find in the linked manual, a minimum of 5psi over pressure is the norm.
I am going to use the same system as Cliff, with the relieving regulator dialled
up to 5psi to give an overpressure. However my system has oil in it so I get it's
cooling advantages & eliminate large air volume changes.
Alan