[PSUBS-MAILIST] Dual Purpose Batteries

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Mar 12 02:57:36 EDT 2020

I wonder about the logistics of hooking up a household solar power system to a submarines batteries.
Most submarines don't dive a lot & with batteries being expensive, perhaps
they could have a primary use as power storage in a solar power system!
I imagine you would have your submarine near your house or in a garage, & just
unplug it to go for a dive.
A while back I was looking at solar systems, & the price of lithium batteries
compared with lead acid were pretty much the same when all factors were considered i.e. life of the battery, number of charge cycles & depth of discharge.
This could justify a new set of lithium batteries for the sub, that would pay for
themselves in time! You may even be able to convince your wife.
Alan