[PSUBS-MAILIST] (no subject)

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Mar 9 18:25:36 EDT 2020

Rick,
depending on where you are at with your build you may want to factor in
new upcoming battery technology.
The lithium sulphur battery has 4-5 times the energy density of a lithium iron
battery & will be much cheaper. So you would go 20 times further on them than
with your lead acid batteries.
The energy density has been proven for years but there has been a problematic
degrading of the cathode due to gunk ( polysulphides) building up on them, that
results in a low number of charging cycles.
A large number of universities & corporations World wide have been spending billions
on research to overcome this problem & it looks like Monash University in Australia
has an answer. They say they will be in production in 2 years.
So you may want to buy cheap lead acids & a cheap charger now with view to
upgrading when the lithium sulphur batteries hit the market. They require a balance
charger that monitors individual cels.
Alan
https://www.downtoearth.org.in/video/energy/world-s-most-efficient-lithium-sulphur-battery-developed-in-australia-68702