[PSUBS-MAILIST] publicity

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jun 20 14:47:17 EDT 2020

Vance, your memory is excellent.  I opened up the documentation last
night and started going through it again.  I need to put a timeline
together since many of the documents are scattered chronologically, but
as I said earlier, it's pretty obvious that it wasn't a good business
relationship and in the end everything just fell apart.  I've got some
interesting pictures of some early subs/experiments, also original
negatives and even a few original Ektachrome slides (remember those??)
of the K600 being hoisted by a crane.  I'm tempted to create a K600
archive to memorialize the project on the website but I'm not sure
anyone else is really interested in the history. I wonder how your
memory corresponds to what I am seeing in the documents and if there are
any details you might be able to fill in.

An outline:
2/19/76 - George Kittredge and SUB SERVICE of Alesund Norway represented
by Robert Hartnett, and Leiv Busaet, enter into a contract for
"...development of a small submarine having a maximum operating depth of
six hundred (600) feet, to be designed for use in the oil industry or
such other uses as may be profitable to SUB SERVICE and adaptable by
KITTREDGE.  This submarine is known as the K-600 series submarine and
shall include the current prototype K-600 and such modifications as are
approved by KITTREDGE".

Interestingly, SUB SERVICE was not an incorporated business at this time
with Hartnett and Busaet signing the contract in their individual
capacities.  The contract was to be adopted by SUB SERVICE after
incorporation.  Initial payment was $30,000 (equivalent to $130,000
today) and he did not receive the balance until December 1980.
Kittredge wanted certification by ABS, SUB SERVICE insisted on Det
Norske Veritas (now DNV-GL).  However Veritas appears to have been
difficult to work with given some letters I have between Kittredge and
Hartnett.  According to those letters Veritas was slow to respond to
approval of plans and neither party had confidence that Veritas had
enough experience with submarines to properly certify the vessel.  At
one point Kittredge traveled to Oslo Norway and met directly with
Veritas engineers and there is talk from Hartnett about Kittredge having
to educate them in how to certify a submarine.  This must be why they
ended up with Lloyds although I haven't seen any documents specifically
addressing the change to Lloyds.

3/1/79 - Kittredge had a contract written to license manufacturing of
the K-600 to SUB SERVICE anywhere in the world except USA.  It looks to
me like this was initiated by SUB SERVICE, whom were seeking to partner
with Offshore Inspection Ltd of Glasgow, Scotland, to manufacture,
market, sell, and maintain K-600 submarines within UK and Ireland.
According to the contract, SUB SERVICE would produce ten K-600 vessels
per year, for three years.  Kittredge would receive 20% of the
construction costs for each submarine as well as an hourly wage for
writing and producing operation and maintenance manuals.  SUB SERVICE
was seeking a 50% profit margin on each submarine.  Stipulations, and if
you knew George you likely aren't surprised by this, were that each
manufacturing license required approval by Kittredege "...in writing on
a submarine by submarine basis" and "...no modification whatsoever of
the submarine known as the K-600 series without the consent in writing
of KITTREDGE". Even though this is a contract created by Kittredge in
response to a business proposal by SUB SERVICE, I do not have a signed
copy of the contract.  And since no additional K-600's were ever
produced I think we can conclude that he either never signed the
contract or never gave approval for a license.  I suspect the former
simply because by this time the submarine was physically complete but he
still had not received the balance payment for the vessel.  My guess is
he wasn't going to sign anything until he got final payment for the
existing K-600 but had the contract drawn up as a carrot.

6/21/79 - The K-600 is approved for certification by Lloyds.

12/1/79 - SUB SERVICE tells Kittredge they have a buyer from England for
the K-600 and two people want to travel to Maine to see the sub in
operation.  The buyers arrive 12/10/79 and on 12/11/79 Kittredge
launches the K-600 in Penobscot Bay and demos the submarine.  The men
tell Kittredge they will be purchasing it from SUB SERVICE for $125,000
and leave confident that the transaction will proceed.  Obviously it
doesn't, however there's no documentation on who these folks represented
or why the sale ultimately failed.

12/11/80 - After Many letters of promised dates for the payment balance
and many letters to lawyers on both sides, SUB SERVICE takes delivery
from Kittredge about 18 months after it was ready. At the same time, SUB
SERVICE along with Kittredge met with Bath Iron Works in Maine and
reached an agreement whereby BIW would manufacture 10 submarine basic
hulls which Kittredge would finish and then ship to Europe.  It appears
this never developed into a contract or production.

About a week later Kittredge wrote SUB SERVICE asking what their
intention was for the other ten submarines they agreed to purchase in
their original 1976 contract.  Kittredge added that he was willing to
release them from the agreement if they would mutually release him from
the agreement.  I have the release document that Kittredge had drawn up,
not have a signed copy of it.  In 1982-83 SUB SERVICE had internal
strife and Hartnett informs Kittredge he is taking legal action against
some of the other owners over misplaced funds.  It's at this point I
assume the company eventually failed.  Whether because of the release
agreement or the failure of the company, no other K-600's were built.

As late as 1983, Hartnett was still writing Kittredge about potential
K-900 and K-1000, seemingly ready to strike out on his own.  Kittredge
responded at one point that he was 65 and retired.

Jon