[PSUBS-MAILIST] Harold has new side MBTs

Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jul 2 08:43:34 EDT 2020

Last summer at Flathead Lake, Montana I had my first live exposure to Nekton Gamma and her side mounted MBTs. The boat was there as part of the Inner Space Science expedition and got to climb in and outside her.  Converted 100 lbs propane tanks were used by Hank Pronk to add surface stability and ease of towing. An idea was formed to convert a K350 in similar ways. Like all my plans, rounding up the parts and finding time to make them is a slower process than the dream.

Here's the project thus far. With the help of Mark Ragan and with Alec Smyth welding up the pre fabricated bits, earlier this week the tanks were completed and attached. After wiring up the solenoids and attaching the airlines it will be time for testing. If all works according to plan, the front MBT will come off and more ports added to the bow endcap. Plan to build a deck across the aft end.

 https://www.instagram.com/p/CCI8V9SBbEg/?igshid=gz6argu383ob

Brian