[PSUBS-MAILIST] 3D dive recording, kickstarter

J. Foulkes via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Jan 19 14:57:28 EST 2020

Alan,

Yes, I deal with geolocation and tracking problems for work.  Mostly this
is on the land or in the air, but my personal interests carry into the
water.

The problem that you face is how to provide multiple reference paths to the
GPS receiver.  DSP-Comm simplifies the problem by only transmitting the
range to the base station (deck unit).  If you want a better solution you
would implement something similar to a LORAN-C network.  More simply you
could have a modem on your deck that receives in two different frequency
bands so you can perform attenuation ranging on different frequencies for
improved accuracy and then triangulate the location of you underwater asset
(the longer the baseline the better - a hydrophone off the bow and stern).
If you want you could still have a transmit hydrophone like DSP-Comm
supplies for full duplex communications that also transmits current
location to the sub.

Regards,
James

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 6:25 PM Alan via Personal_Submersibles <