[PSUBS-MAILIST] Acrylic Dome

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jan 17 21:34:22 EST 2020

Tim,
I had been interested in making my own brushless underwater thruster as there
wasn't anything cheap on the market around the 2hp size I wanted.
Brushless have more torque are more economical & better suited to oil
compensating than brushed, & I am wanting them for a 500ft depth.
I have used 6374 (dimensions in mm) brushless hobby motors wound to 60kv
( rpm per volt ) for higher torque. I wanted to avoid gearing.
There is a major manufacturer ( Sunny Sky ) that I approached.
I started with a product they made that was a bit more substantial, having a
can bearing on it. I had previously trialed another 6374 motor without can
bearing & decided it needed one.
They put a 316 stainless shaft in it to my specs with Circlip groves cut in it.
They machined the back of the motor to let the wires comes straight out the
back rather than top. They also put a hall sensor board in so I could run it
sensored. And as mentioned wound it with thinner wire. Cost less than $100 each.
I have bearings in my housing that take the axial load. Am compensating with
5cst silicone oil so should be good for the motor bearings.
In tests it was above average with regards to commercial motors as far as thrust
per Watt was concerned.
Have more tests to do, but I have a video of it powering my inflatable on my
Facebook page somewhere.
Cheers