[PSUBS-MAILIST] Scrubber size

David Colombo via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Dec 13 22:12:44 EST 2020

Hi Guys, I was following Jon's thread and thought how appropriate.  I am
building a scrubber for the VAST sub. The housing I acquired was a carbon
filter used in the grow industry.  With an interior screen core for the air
to flow thru to the sodasorb core to the outside screen. The volume of this
space holds 3.6 lbs of carbon. Not sure if the weight per volume of the
sodasorb is exactly the same, but if it is that chamber would produce about
14.4 hours of absorption. I'm am thinking that I am going to cut the unit
in half. My thinking is that for a typical day of diving, 14 hrs seem a bit
excessive and I would be wasting  a lot of sorb.  With pre packaged,
vacuumed bags I can carry what would be required to meet ABS guidelines.
One of my concerns though is that with the compactness of the VAST sub with
a reduced volume of sorb, would the heat generated be greater than with
more sorb, thereby also increasing the humidity buildup.
I am hoping to get some experience feedback from other small owners, and
what they have used volume wise of the sorb for a typical day of diving.
The co2 unit I am using measures humidity as well as co2 ppm.
Attached are pictures of the unit ready to have the fan attached.
Best Regards,
David Colombo