[PSUBS-MAILIST] Life Support Alarms

Sun Dec 13 13:08:05 EST 2020

There is a humidity guideline in the ABS rules, which is 30% - 70% RH (non-condensing). While cabin temperature is not specifically addressed in the underwater systems rules, it is addressed elsewhere in ABS publications. I don't remember offhand whether it is from the ergonomics guide, the bridge design guide, or the steel vessel rules, but I do recall that HVAC is to maintain temperature within the range of 14°C to 30°C (57.2°F to 86°F). PSubs may need some leeway on the low end, substituting appropriate clothing (and emergency / survival insulation) for active heaters. Diving bells carry emergency insulating survival cocoons for the occupants for an emergency which entails loss of hot water supply to the bell, as the temperature will rapidly drop to the ambient water temperature. PSubs are no different unless they are insulated by design.

Sean