[PSUBS-MAILIST] Buoyancy dynamics

River Dolfi via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Aug 16 12:10:40 EDT 2020

Jon, are you asking about how to correlate buoyancy condition with vertical
speed through the water? IE "If I drain 50lb from the VBT and make myself
50lb positively buoyant, how long will it take me to reach the surface
600ft up?"

You would have to know the drag coefficient and a reference area of the sub
in question in the up and down direction. Usually that kind of number is
determined with fancy CFD or wind tunnel testing. I've got a couple data
points about buoyancy vs vertical speed that I could crunch to get an
approximate drag coefficient appropriate for small submersibles, then you
could calculate the speed for any sub of a given cross sectional area.

Thanks,

-River J. Dolfi

rdolfi7 at gmail.com