[PSUBS-MAILIST] buoyancy

Douglas Suhr via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 15 14:44:03 EDT 2020

Quite a few years ago (when I was still a kid) I remember endeavoring to
bend a curve into a piece of aluminum tubing. Dad had mentioned to me the
idea of filling the tube with sand (something he had heard from someone
down the line) and so I did just that: loaded the tube with as much sand as
I could ram in there, capped it off and then heated the aluminum up with a
torch. I had bolted a solid rubber cart wheel horizontally onto the
workbench as a jig. The sand didn't help at all and this experiment failed
miserably! As Alec suggests, there must be something more to this sand
business. I finally resorted to investing in a conduit bender with the
radius I was looking for and that did alright (but of course this was just
thin-walled aluminum).

Last year Alec made me a couple of (very strong) stainless steel bumper
bars for Snoopy's bow (think: SportSub) and he curved those things
beautifully! ~ Doug

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 2:27 PM Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles <