[PSUBS-MAILIST] motor oil compensator

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Apr 3 16:46:00 EDT 2020

David,
a simple air compensation system that Karl Stanley was using was to use
a first stage regulator with the spring removed. This gives ambient pressure,
however in my testing the pressure varied within 11 psi of ambient, as the mechanism
was a bit sticky. The over pressure on ascent he let force it's way out the motor shaft seals.
A much better way ( in my opinion) is Cliffs regulator which can be used for air & oil compensation, gives you a set pressure above ambient that can be adjusted, & the system can be turned off to help stop the overpressure causing oil to come out on
your driveway.
I have a number of cheap plastic "Festo" relieving regulators which may be a good
non corrosive option with a few parts changed in the spindle.
Alan