[PSUBS-MAILIST] CO2 absorbent test

Thu Oct 10 20:29:02 EDT 2019

You could take a small sample, test it to breakthrough, and scale the result, but the problem with that is that it won't accurately reflect the geometry effect of your scrubber design. As you indicated, it won't have been consumed evenly. The best thing is probably simply to use it until you detect breakthrough, and then change out the media, or call the dive. If you can't do that though, just dump it and replace it with fresh media. Scrubber media is cheap compared to the potential consequences of an exhausted scrubber. Atmospheric air contains about 400 ppm CO2. If your scrubber is not sealed, it will gradually become depleted simply by exposure to air, and this doesn't require active circulation. Gas exchange will be driven by the concentration gradient, though that is a slow process. There are tests you can do if you want to sample the media and send it out for chromatography analysis, but for a small scrubber, such a test is probably more expensive than a media replacement.

Sean