[PSUBS-MAILIST] Shackleton testing

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Oct 1 22:10:46 EDT 2019

Alex, Cliff,
thanks for the report Alex, I hadn't thought about the oscillation from
flooding the ballasts too quickly.
As for the compensating regulator, Cliff I am about to try it out on my
thruster on an inflatable boat. I am having an air over oil system. Just bought
a 18 cuft pony bottle for it.
There is silicone oil in the thruster housing & in the line leading to the compensating
regulator. So very little air is required to compensate, & if oil leaks out it is
replaced by air & indicated by the oil height in the line.
Alex, as for the pressure differential in the regulator; I am not sure what operating
range you chose for that regulator. Did you go for the lowest range?
I think they have a piston which could stick a bit in that low 4 psi range, hence your
zero pressure. The relieving part of the regulator is set by the size of its spring.
You could put a weaker spring in if you want the pressure relief on ascending
to be closer to your set pressure, however you run the risk of it free flowing.
In commercial spring pressurised compensators they get a variance in pressure
larger than what you are experiencing, but this is over time due to the spring
extending as the oil level goes down.
Alan