[PSUBS-MAILIST] VBT

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun May 19 12:51:06 EDT 2019

Hi All,  Did you guys know that Nekton subs were built with a VBT'?  I put one in today because I have a job next weekend to video a sewer outfall in Kootenay Lake that starts shallow and goes to 200 feet deep .  It would be tricky to follow the pipe precisely if I had to also maintain neutral buoyancy as well as stay on coarse.  My VBT is plumbed into the original VBT ports  with a fill valve at the bottom of the tank witch is an aluminum CO2 tank.  There is a tee at the top of the tank with a vent valve and an air pressure line that comes from a regulator.  To fill I just let the water flood in the bottom of the tank.  To remove the water I close the vent valve and pressurize the tank.  I can let a little water out or a lot by simply opening the fill valve.  If it works out and I like having it I can install a hand pump for fine control.
I also installed a new propeller with more pitch a more square blades to help with speed and reverse.  This propeller is amazing in reverse.
Tuesday I will test this out plus a sample system for collecting sediment Hank