[PSUBS-MAILIST] passive sonar

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat May 18 05:27:51 EDT 2019

 Brian,Neat ideaHank
    On Friday, May 17, 2019, 9:35:13 PM MDT, Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

         I've been thinking about some sort of pinger locator for my sub.  I may get a commercially available one just as an extra safety measure, but in the mean time I was playing around with my depth finder on my sailboat .  I was thinking if I had a rotating disk that would be a little higher than the sub the changing surface exposure to the sonar waves would appear on the depth finder as a recurring blip .  I tried it with a radar reflector that I have, I tied it to a line and located it just below my transducer, I was able to move it around and observe the display on the screen.   Since the radar reflector ( used on boats so big ships can see you) has all these sides to it, as I moved it around it would show up intermittently since the sound wave sometimes would not bounce back.  I think a flat surface rotated so only the edge is showing and then a large surface was showing at a regular intervals could work as an indicator.   I might be especially valuable if you were blending into the bottom so much as to not be detectable .  That way someone with just an ordinary depth finder could detect you.
Personal_Submersibles mailing list
Personal_Submersibles at psubs.org