[PSUBS-MAILIST] submerge !

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri May 10 10:08:55 EDT 2019

 Brian, congratulations on successful duck test!  It is always an encouragement to those building boats to see a builder reach the first dunk test.  I guess we have to call you Captain Cox now.
If it were me I would not make any ballast changes based on this test because it is unclear how much the bow and stern lifting straps were loaded.  I would be more inclined to repeat the test with the straps completely loose or even removed now that you have proved you can submerge and surface.  One way to deal with unequal decent during MBT flooding is to fabricate a series orifice restrictions with different diameters that can be inserted into the aft MBT vent port.  Then execute a MBT flood and see which orifice size give the most stable decent.  I did this for my boat and it worked great.
Please keep sending progress videos of your testing.
Best RegardsCliff