[PSUBS-MAILIST] Foam preperation

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Jun 28 17:18:40 EDT 2019

All,
as we are talking about testing this for General Psubs use I'll elaborate
on something I mentioned earlier.
In the product specifications below it mentions that in the setting of this product
the temperature is critical, & that temperatures below 75 degrees F will make a
denser product. One would assume that temperatures above 75 F would make
a less dense & hence weaker product.
With 2 part chemical reactions there is generally a heat produced & this is
exponentially greater the thicker the pour. I used to use casting resins for art
& they would get very hot on thick casts.
If this were the case then filling any large voids in one pour may cause the
centre of the material to be a lot weaker than the outside.
To check this we could ask the rep about thick pours, do a thick pour & cut it
in cross section to see if it is less dense in the middle or stick a heat probe in
the middle of the pour to check for an increased temperature.
All expansion rates and times given are temperature critical. Temperatures below 75 degrees F will lower the expansion rate therefore requiring more foam. Ideal working temperature is 75 to 80 degrees F or above.
Accurate measuring of these products is extremely critical.
Alan