[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED lights

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Jun 16 18:23:50 EDT 2019

 Brian, the auto versions look like they would be much more difficult to convert.  They typically are not IP67 or IP68 to start off with, and don't have to be since they are pretty well protected on the back end by the car body.  They also tend to have a "road" beam pattern not to blind oncoming cars which just isn't the kind of pattern that we want underwater.  The off-road versions are just easier as a starting point to convert because they are fully enclosed and at least IP67 rated.  Unfortunately, given the seal used to make them water resistant, they might as well not have one.  That's at least where the harbor freight units shined.  The seal is thick and u-shaped to fit over a "land" or bead on the housing, and they are advertised as "submersible" rather than just water resistant.  I found a video of a guy that lowered them into a tank fully submersed and left them for 24 hours with no water ingress.  That's a good starting point except their not exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch.
Hank, I think most all off-the-shelf LED "lights" depend upon some kind of reflector to get the lumen output up to a respectable amount, and/or the beam pattern desired.  Most of the inexpensive units are using 3-5 watt LED's and then with some "artistic licensing" advertising them with outrageous specs in both lumen's and wattage.  Your modified design is essentially omni-directional except on the other side of the circuit board and must be using some large output LED's to have that much light without a reflector.
So tell us, what brand did you buy for the conversion?  Size, etc.  I noticed on these ROADSHOCK versions, the PCB seems to be glued to the housing so I don't think I could removed it without damaging it.  On yours the PCB must just slide out?  Kept in the original housing by clips or screws?  What size tube did you have to purchase?
Jon