[PSUBS-MAILIST] magnetic base

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jul 15 17:02:03 EDT 2019

Hank,
If you could mount them in a slot so that the vertical thrust pushes against the
edges of the slot, that would require less power from the magnets. ( you were
probably planning that anyway).
Magnets are corrosive so you would have to either coat them or mount them
Inside the hull. They should magnetise through the hull if strong enough.
If the magnets were mounted inside the hull you may be able to knock them
sideways out of the way to help release the thruster.
I would have some way of pinning the thrusters during transport, & take the
magnets off ( some how ) during storage.
One thought is that a powerful electro magnet may help with the removal of
the magnets.
Alan