[PSUBS-MAILIST] coms

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Dec 16 22:10:34 EST 2019

 Yes, an interface is required.  Looks like such devices are manufactured but I haven't found a price for them yet.  Unfortunately VHF cannot be easily modified.  Using conventional means, your radios are going to require 50 ohm cable, shielded, to have a proper standing wave.  You can find lots of information online about standing waves and how the RF energy flows around the coax cable by searching "how to build a vhf antenna" or "marine band antenna".  Receiving is one thing, but transmission is quite inflexible regarding electromagnetic laws of science.  The risk is is burning out the transmitter.
Keith is correct about the signal loss over 500 feet.  I found a couple of resources (see links below) that shows a max length of 140 feet for VHF using RG8u or LMR-400.  It's a big cable at 10+mm in diameter and the max length equates to about a 3db loss, which makes sense since I believe a half-wave dipole provides a 3db gain.  So the cable loss cancels the gain of the antenna.
http://www.rfcoaxconnectors.com/technical-coax-cable-length-choice.phphttp://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/coax-chart.htm
I have a feeling the RF to Fiber converters are not cheap since I can only find "request a quote" pricing online although I haven't done an exhaustive search for a supplier.
Maybe older technology is appropriate here.  A phone-like "intercom" between sub and surface, converted to radio at the surface?

Jon