[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure resistant lie batteries

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Dec 3 17:35:54 EST 2019

Hi Beram,
there is a firm that makes lithium battery packs for underwater use.
https://www.swe.com/
What depth do you want them to go down to? How big a battery pack?
I have cut open lithium iron & lithium polymer batteries & they look
pretty pressure resistant. The lithium polymer with the soft flat packs look
like they might take the pressure better than the Lithium iron in the cylindrical
form. The latter having a hard case that might crush & damage the battery.
I am not sure about lithium phosphate which is the preferred option for safety.
I have a 48V 40Ah lithium phosphate battery that I run an inflatable on.
What complicates matters is the wires coming from each cel for balance
charging. I am not sure how you handle this. Perhaps encapsulate the balance
charging electronics & leave it in the battery enclosure.
Alan